Home

Sunday, April 12, 2015

Communications Definition

I decided to change my major from Human Resources Management to Communications because I want to pursue a career in training, public relations, education, or possibly public policy and administration.  I find what people say and how they say it to be very intriguing at times and believe that communication relates closely to psychology.  Although I am not sure exactly what I want to do with my degree, communicating well is necessary to be successful in any field.
 
Having a good understanding of communication has made me a good leader and trainer in my current position.  We are talking to people from all different walks of life with different education levels and you have to understand how to speak appropriately to each person so that you are not using language that is either too simple or too complex for the person you are communicating with to understand.  I definitely choose my words wisely, depending on who I am speaking to.  I may say the same thing to two different people, but use completely different verbiage depending on if I am speaking to a college educated hiring manager or a high school drop-out.  In addition, understanding communication helps my partner and me to talk effectively and avoid arguments that many couples have.  We are able to express ourselves to one another, clarify if needed, and discuss issues rationally.
The definition of communication that is most like my own definition is; “Communication is “the transmission of information, ideas, emotions, skills, etc., by the use of symbols—words, pictures, figures, graphs, etc. (Trenholm, p. 19)”.  I chose this definition because when I think of communication, it is not only through words, but through so many other means; especially in today’s visual world where people write emails and use emoticons to ensure the receiver knows if they are kidding, happy or upset and we communicate for many different reasons as also described in this definition. 

Reference
Trenholm, Sarah.  Thinking Through Communication for Ashford University, 6th Edition. Pearson Learning Solutions. Retrieved from< vbk:9780558712921#outline(5.2.2.1)>.

1 comment:

  1. Amy McDonald’s blog has lots of viewing space. It is visually appealing and her content is interesting, knowledgeable, and well thought. The layout of her page lends itself to easy perusing.
    Most impressively Amy identifies her audience and the purpose of the blog’s as well. Amy also has created compelling headlines that will make her audience eager to read each post!
    For as modern as Amy’s blog seems regarding communication, I would suggest she use a sans serif font to give her posts a fresher look.

    I love the green hazy background. Makes me want to take a slow walk through your page!

    ReplyDelete