Home

Monday, April 20, 2015

Delivering Bad New...Tactfully


Our assignment this week asked us to deliver bad news tactfully to an underperforming employee that has received numerous complaints.  As a department manager with an under-performing employee it is pretty easy to approach this individual.  The reason this is a simple task is because there are standards set, as well as, complaints that allow me to give a final warning for the inappropriate behavior. 
I have found, from my past experiences with delivering bad news, that it is always best to stick to the facts at hand.  Simply state the facts, provide the person with the supporting documentation, and then remain silent.  Many times, silence can be your best friend because the employee usually feels uncomfortable with the silence and needs to fill it by talking.
In the case provided, I would come to the meeting prepared with the level that is considered acceptable and this employee’s actual numbers.  In addition, I would have examples of the confrontational behavior and where it is stated in the employee handbook that this behavior is 
WiseGeek (Leader talking to employee)
unacceptable.  I prefer to get straight to the point and I would open with something like, “The reason we are meeting today is because we have a few different problems.  I do not like having to deliver this news, but I have no other options.”  Many times I start my sentences with statements such as, “Your decision to…” making the person realize it was their decision to behave in such a manner.  If the person starts to ask for leniency, I always bring up what is just and fair and ask them if the tables were turned what they would do.  Almost every time the person says that they would do the same thing that I am doing.  Finally, I end with something clear and direct such as “We need to see immediate change in the performance and attitude issues discussed, or I will be forced to terminate your employment.”

When going into the meeting, I would have a written document prepared that would look something like the following:

Date: 18 March, 2015
Subject:  Final Warning
Personnel Involved:  Ima Slacker
Issue:  Technical Support with excellence in service / Confrontational behavior

Support with Excellence in Service
Upon review of your performance over the past 3 months, you have not maintained the technical expertise and customer service excellence that is expected.  With the recent upgrade to the company’s database and intranet system, all technical personnel were given 3 weeks to complete the required updated systems training by March 30, in order to answer incoming questions from users.  The training was not completed until 1 week past the deadline.  Your call times and the number of escalation calls for questions that you could not answer are more than double what is expected.
Confrontational Behavior
Over the last two months you have received 6 customer complaints.  During review of said calls, it was found that you did not follow the proper protocol for acceptable responses to unsatisfied or upset customers.
Secondly, you have had verbal confrontation with numerous employees – one that I was witness to today involving Sally.  Your aggressive approach, yelling and use of foul language is considered hostile and will not be tolerated, per page 14 of the employee handbook.

It is expected that you complete further training in order to reduce call times, number of escalation calls and increase your level of customer service within the next 30 days.  In addition, any future complaints or confrontations in the office will not be tolerated.

This is your final warning and further issues will result in termination. 

Comments:
 

__________________________________________

Signature                                                         Date

I always leave a space for comments, and I will take notes as the person talks.  In addition, I allow them to write anything they would like when signing, reading it before they leave in case I have any questions. 
There are times when the person wants to make excuses or ask for special treatment due to circumstances outside of work.  When this happens, I always bring the conversation back to work and being fair.  In addition, I explain that we all have problems outside of work and that they need to leave work at work and home at home so that they can still perform as expected.  I explain that it is not fair to everyone else if I give him/her special treatment.  I ask them to put themselves into their co-worker's shoes and consider how they would feel if the situation was reversed.
When there is a change in performance from their usual behavior, I ask what has changed that could be causing the change in their performance and if there is any additional assistance that is needed.  I am always willing to give advice, but it is important to remember that you can only help those who want to be helped.

1 comment:

  1. Great discussion posts on delivering bad news tactfully. I enjoyed reading the content of your viewpoints. Your Blog in a nutshell is light years beyond anything I could have developed. Your layout is professional, and the content was interesting and kept my attention. I only noticed one grammatical error in this piece and it was at the end (I will take notes and the person talks). I think you meant to use as vice and in your statement. Other than that this is a great discussion post. I would hate to be one across from you being counseled. Great work...

    gwg

    ReplyDelete